The 1st team secured back-to-back wins for the first time this year following extended lay offs due to the weather.

A comfortable 3-0 win was the outcome in the end, though on first half viewing the end result looked unlikely. Kingsway started the half flat and the drive was very much with the away side. They looked the most dangerous, looking to play long beyond the defence and forcing Kingsway’s Scott Peroni into a few good saves as they pressed for an opener.

The away side did think they’d got the opener when their striker had nipped ahead of the defence and seemingly nudging the ball beyond the rushing keeper before slotting home. However, the goal was chalked off due to handball and the away side would, eventually, be left to rue the decision and their inability to take their chances.

Kingsway had few moments of brightness in the first half. Jimmy McRaewaltzing past two (we still don’t know what he puts in those boots) before striking just beyond the post from outside of the area. There was very little to enjoy from an attacking perspective from the home side in the first half, with Igs Correia playing on the left of the attacking three appearing to struggle to find his way into the game from that position, much as has been his stop-start story this season, leaving Ryan Hooper and Scott Edwards to make the best of what they could get.

The half couldn’t end quick enough for the home side as they looked to pick up the tempo in the second half and make changes at half time.

The introduction of Samuel Sysum on to the left of the front three, with Igs switching wings and Hooper maintaining the central role turned out to be the game changing substitution.

The second half began with Kingsway seemingly more positive, quick and willing to fire balls in behind. The increase in tempo quickly told, Ryan Hooper managing to find space within the box to dig out a brilliant cross to Jack Dalby who towered beyond all to nod in the opener with pressure from the centre half and goalkeeper making little difference.

From then on Kingsway seemed to have found their swagger again, Igs picking up the ball in his own half, on the counter, from a Cam Bulldogs Reserves attack and releasing Sam Sysum down the left as he turned on the pace, leaving the defence for dead before slotting, 1-on-1 beyond the keeper.

The away side continued to try to make something happen but Kingsway had found their momentum and defended well.

As the half ticked on, the front three made sure of all three points linking wonderfully well with Igs playing the ball across the box to Ryan Hooper, who managed to find a well crafted pass into the box for Sam Sysum to add his second, and Kingsway’s third, sliding it in beyond the keeper.

As Cam Bulldog Reserves chased the game in the final 15 minutes, it became a lot more open. Kingsway continued to find space and chances, with Jack Dalby having the chance to add to his tally. He improvised wonderfully from a over-hit cross, managing to chest it down before thinking of a bicycle kick, but the ball wouldn’t come down and got away from him for a goal kick.

There was little else of note as Kingsway looked to secure possession and dictate the rest of the game. It ended with Kingsway securing all three points and another clean sheet which will no doubt do wonders for their confidence, defensively.

MOTM: Jake Adams – the left back has often been known for playing ‘on the edge’ more recently with a red card – and dressing in a pretty little skirt for a game as a forfeit to show for it!

However, he was in fine form and was incredibly disciplined in transitions of play during the game yesterday. His constant running, hard tackling and willingness to contribute to all phases of play was fantastic and he has shown why he continues to be an instrumental part of how Kingsway wish to play. Keep it up Frost!

Previous Post
Next Post